Thursday, January 24, 2008

Oh, and about New Orleans




Readers who know me in 3D also know that I made a second trip to New Orleans the week before school restarted. I was working with a terrific organization called the Student Hurricane Network. As its name suggests, the org was started by a bunch of law students and has grown into a national movement of sorts.

It was terrific to be there again. I even ventured out by myself to a show at the legendary Tipitinas. Since I was 18 years old, I have been hearing about this place and to see a New Orleans-based band there was Epic for me. I didn't even mind that I was by myself, I just let the music carry me away to funkland. Glorious!

Someone asked me the other day, "why New Orleans again?" I went originally out of maybe a sense of morbid curiosity and a willingness to help some people who seemed to need it. I now consider myself to have a special bond with that place.

It reminds me of myself. Screwed up but lovable. Old, but not in a bad way. Colorful, and sometimes over the top. Gaudy and garish but lovely and unique. Maybe needs some work, but at least the work is worth doing. There is something great there that is still worthwhile. :)

At least that's what I see.

I was so moved my first time there by the sights and sounds and feelings and a feeling of "we have to do something about this" that I couldn't wait to return. I was hoping the other students who went felt the same, but I am not sure they did. Maybe I would have felt the same way about the city 13 years ago. We shall see how many return for the next trip.

I spent way too much money eating and drinking. Now, reality has set in, and it's time to buckle down.

No comments: