As my period of unemployment goes on (and on) I have gotten a little better at finding things to do that are more fulfilling (and slightly more productive) than the hand wringing and hoping that had been occupying me in the past 4 months. What have I been up to?
- Twitter: I have started more carefully following the legal (ish) things that interest me and tweeting about them. I think that Twitter can provide me with some good networking opportunities, if I am using it correctly. Part of that is tweeting about things that actually matter, rather than just a random mindstream of my thoughts.
- Working out: I have been forcing myself to get out and walk every day. I think it keeps no-job anxiety at bay.
- Connecting: Getting better at reaching out to friends that I haven't seen in a while, and not just those in the legal profession. Regular contact with regular people is good for my outlook. Overexposure to a bunch of other stressed-out recent grads is not.
- Learning: I have signed up for some free seminars and CLEs. This will give me some new things to talk about at interviews and keeps my mind engaged.
- Housecleaning: Getting my stuff in order keeps my sister's basement from feeling like, well, a basement.